DriveThru Tours




Please read this disclaimer carefully before using this website. The content displayed throughout this website is the intellectual property of Alan J Cook or other copyright holders as stated. You may not reuse this content in any way without written consent. All content posted is to provide information and ideas for educational purposes only. It is not intended as a substitute for, or to provide professional or legal advice in any way. Should you decide to act upon any information on this website you do so at your own risk. While the information on this website has been verified to the best of my ability, I cannot guarantee that there are no mistakes, errors or omissions. I reserve the right to change information on this website (or change this policy) at any time without notice.

Please remember that all images / photographs / videos used throughout this site are the copyright © of Alan J Cook or other copyright holders as stated. You DO NOT have permission to download them or use these images / photographs, or any part of them, elsewhere.




NOT ALL ROUTES DESCRIBED ON THIS WEBSITE ARE SUITABLE FOR TOWING A CARAVAN OR FOR A MOTORHOME. Some routes are only suitable for a car or 4x4 (or bicycle) so do check before you attempt the trip. You may need to pitch your caravan on a nearby site before attempting some of the more difficult parts of some of the routes.

In the UK there is a recent update to the Highway Code which readers will need to be aware of - refer to URL: THE HIGHWAY CODE - For cars, pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists and horse riders ( You can also download (free) an e-book version from URL: the_official_highway_code_-_14-09-2021.pdf ( The new regulations come into force on 29 January 2022.

There is also new legislation regarding Clean Air Zones that travellers need to work round. These can be found at URL: Caravan and motorhome owners could be hit with daily charges with new car tax rules (

You may need to obtain an International Driving Permit before driving outside the UK. Refer to URL: Driving abroad: Check if you need an international driving permit (IDP) - GOV.UK (

Now the UK has left the EU, there are a number of factors you need to deal with before venturing into Europe. The simplest of these is the requirement to have a 'UK' sticker on the rear of both your car and caravan / trailer, instead of the traditional 'GB' sticker as this will no longer be valid from 28 September 2021. Refer to URL: GB car sticker to be replaced by new ‘UK’ version | RAC Drive

More complicated is the possible requirment to obtain an ETIAS VISA WAIVER. The ETIAS visa waiver program will be needed to enter a Schengen member country. Following the decision to leave the EU, the UK has become subject to the requirements for facial and fingerprint biometrics to be collected from every non-EU visitor to Europe’s Schengen area. The schedule is for checks to become mandatory from November 2023 (subject to change!), Refer to URL: ETIAS for Europe | European Travel Authorization System (

Remember also that some countries have specific regulations about caravans and motorhomes - Spain, for example, states that any car/caravan or motorhome (with or without a trailer) travelling to Spain that is over 12 metres in length must have one long or two small aluminium boards attached to the back. The aluminium boards must have a yellow centre with a red outline, be reflective, and comply with ECE70 - refer to URL: spanish_regulations_for_vehicle_combination_over_12_metres.pdf (

Spain has recently made changes to speed limits. Refer to URL: for further details.

Remember also that some countries have laws for the protection of cyclists - The Netherlands requires that you give the right of way to cyclists and in Spain, there is a recently passed law that requires that when overtaking a bicycle the distance between car and bicycle is at least two metres (6'6”) and drivers must slow to at least 20 kilometres per hour below the speed limit.

New legislation in France from 1 January 2021 requires all vehicles over 3.5T (including motorhomes) to display warning stickers to indicate the position of blind spots to other road users. The stickers must use the official French-government design and there are strict rules about the stickers’ size and position.

France has also introduced new legislation for winter driving. Refer to URL: Winter tyres mandatory in France from 1 November | CERN ( and: France’s new winter tire rules: Drivers won’t face fines in first year (

You will need to check that your car insurance covers you for all of the countries you wish to visit (there are usually some countries excluded - you may have to buy additional insurance at the border if you wish to proceed into these countries). You will also need to obtain a printed 'green card' before travelling. If you are towing a caravan, you will need to obtain TWO Green Cards as the caravan is also required to have one. You will also need to check how many days foreign travel you are permitted during one trip away from home. This is sometimes limited to as little as 30 days in one policy year whilst some permit you 180 days per policy year, for example. I believe only AXA will provide you with year-round foreign coverage insurance should you need this. Don't forget vehicle (and caravan) recovery too. Some countries, such as Switzerland, require you to purchase a vignette if you wish to use certain roads - like motorways. You may also need to purchase Clean Air stickers for some cities in France.

Do remember that if you have a vehicle that is 3 years old or more, you'll need to keep up to date with your annual MOT certificate. If you envisage being away for a lengthy period you might find it worthwhile getting a new MOT Certificate immediately before you leave the UK. If staying away longer than your MOT Certificate is valid for, you will need to (temporarily) return to the UK, with your vehicle, through an EU / Schengen Zone country – and exit in much the same way. Allow for this in your 90 day allowance.

You should also check your home insurance as this too will have a limit as to how many days you can leave your home empty during a trip away.
For example, many companies specify that you can leave your home unoccupied for only 60 days consecutively and that your home is only occupied by family members.

If taking your dog overseas, you'll need to make sure you have the correct documentation for them too. Be aware that the requirements have changed since the UK left the EU.

Last, but not least, make sure you have appropriate health, medical and accident insurance for all persons travelling with you - including after-care and repatriation cover.

Before travelling abroad you MUST do your research on the requirements which you must have for yourself and other people (and animals) travelling with you and for your vehicle(s). This site has not been set-up for providing you with this information.

Also refer to URL: #42 Travelling to Europe post-Brexit: What to prepare before you leave - The Camping and Caravanning Club

These links may help you:



Background image from: <a href="">Wall Vectors by Vecteezy</a>